If there’s one thing I love, it’s the summer traditional Festivities and in villages of Granada province. Especially during the month of August, when they reach their maximum splendour. Verbenas, kings and queens of festivals, popular bands, tasting of local cuisine, craft markets, passion and devotion to saints, foam parties and an endless number of recreational and festive activities that flood all corners of Granada.
Table of contents
- 1 Popular summer festivals in the province of Granada
- 2 Village festivals in July 2020
- 3 Fairs and festivals in villages during August 2020
- 3.1 New Year’s Eve 2020 in Bérchules
- 3.2 Prehistoric celebrations 2020 in Píñar
- 3.3 Festival of the parva 2020 in Pórtugos
- 3.4 Pilgrimage Virgen de las Nieves 2020 in Monachil
- 3.5 Pilgrimage Virgen de las Nieves 2020 in Trevélez
- 3.6 San Cayetano 2020 in Gor
- 3.7 Fair of the Spell 2020 in Soportújar
- 3.8 The 2020 Tourist Festival in Gualchos
- 3.9 The “Fiesta de la parva” 2020 in the Alpujarra de la Sierra
- 3.10 Festivals of Albondón 2020
- 3.11 The charcoal mayor: La Peza 2020 Festivities
- 3.12 More summer celebrations in municipalities of Granada
- 4 Festivals in villages in September 2020
- 5 Summer “tapa” days in the villages of Granada
Popular summer festivals in the province of Granada
It is perhaps one of the most important tourist attractions of the municipalities of Granada: the popular festivals that take place during the summer season. I still have memories of my childhood in my father’s village: you were eager to go there to meet the “summer friends of the big cities”. They were the ones who set the trend in the surrounding towns and villages. The ones left in the “town square” without a mobile phone, the rockets and wheelbarrows, the street party and the song of “Paquito El Chocolatero”, ains… what nice memories! How we love a party! 😀
Village festivals in July 2020
At the end of July, you can attend the Gastronomic Days of Güejar Sierra’s Cherry. And on the 23rd and 24th (you could change the dates) the Cattle Fair is celebrated in Molvízar.
Sea procession of the Virgen del Carmen 2020 on the Costa Tropical
An event with a century-old tradition that takes place every year on July 16th in different towns of the Granada coast on the occasion of the Virgen del Carmen. The following municipalities take the boat ride to the patron saint: Almuñécar, La Herradura, Gualchos – Castell de Ferro, La Rábita – Los Yesos, Calahonda, Torrenueva, Motril – Varadero, Salobreña, Polopos – La Mamola.
Patron saint’s fiestas during the month of July 2020
The following towns celebrate their popular and/or patron saint festivals during the month of July:
Albuñol on the 25th; Algarinejo on the last weekend; Atarfe, from 23rd to 26th; Benalúa on the 16th; Benalúa de las Villas, last weekend of the month; Bérchules, from 27th to 29th; Cáñar, from 24th to 26th; Carchuna – Calahonda, first fortnight; Chauchina-Romilla, from 19 to 22; Cogollos Vega, on 13; Domingo Pérez, at the end of the month; El Valle – Salares, on 25; Gualchos – Castell de Ferro, on 16; Láchar – Peñuelas, last weekend; Marchal, on 22 and 23; Moclín – Gurniel, on 16; Molvízar, 24 to 28; Motril – La Garnatilla, 28 to 30; Motril – Varadero, 14 to 17; Motril – Carchuna, 3 to 5; Motril – Torrenueva, 16; Peligros, 12 to 16; Pinos Puente – Fuensanta, at the beginning of the month; Polopos – Haz de Trigo, 25 and 26; Rubite – Casarones, 23 and 24; Salar, 26 and 26; Santa Fe – Pedro Ruiz, last weekend; Torrenueva, 13 to 16; Valle de Zalabí – Acudia, 14th; Ventas de Huelma – Ácula, 3rd week; Ventas de Huelma, last week; Villanueva Mesía, 21 to 25 July.
Fairs and festivals in villages during August 2020
New Year’s Eve 2020 in Bérchules
You can attend New Year’s Eve in Bérchules on the first Saturday of August 2020. One of the most popular celebrations in the country is New Year’s Eve in Bérchules since Christmas 1994, when a blackout forced the inhabitants to eat their grapes by candlelight. They don’t even miss the parade of the Three Kings.
Prehistoric celebrations 2020 in Píñar
If you want to know more about the Prehistoric Festivals that take place in Piñar, you can click on the following link. They take place on the first weekend of August 2020.
Festival of the parva 2020 in Pórtugos
On the first weekend of August 2020, a celebration takes place in Pórtugos where locals and tourists can attend the grain threshing ceremony recreated in the old-fashioned way.
Pilgrimage Virgen de las Nieves 2020 in Monachil
On August 5, 2020, a nocturnal pilgrimage takes place in Monachil that goes from Pradollano to the Tajos de la Virgen, crossing Borreguiles until it reaches the foot of the Veleta. It is known for being the highest pilgrimage in the world where the pilgrims carry a small image of their Virgin on their shoulders.
Pilgrimage Virgen de las Nieves 2020 in Trevélez
In Trevélez, also celebrated between the 4th and 5th of August 2020, they usually spend the night in Siete Lagunas and the next day they start their journey at dawn to see the sunrise from the top of Sierra Nevada.
San Cayetano 2020 in Gor
The Bull Run for the feast of San Cayetano in Gor takes place from 8 to 10 August in the municipality of Gor. In addition, the procession of the Flag of San Cayetano stands out. A festivity that also serves as a meeting point for the Goreños/as who emigrated years ago and visit their hometown.
Fair of the Spell 2020 in Soportújar
In the second week of August 2020 it takes place in Soportújar (San Roque Festivities). You will be able to experience through recreations the rituals that the witches performed in this village as well as another series of acts and celebrations of today.
The 2020 Tourist Festival in Gualchos
Held in the second half of August, it pays tribute to the first tourists who decided to spend their holidays there in the 1960s. The tourist of the year receives a wreath.
The “Fiesta de la parva” 2020 in the Alpujarra de la Sierra
Through this celebration that takes place on August 15, the Alpujarra de la Sierra (Mecina Bombarón) remembers the work that used to be done for the cultivation of the cereal; also known as “la trilla”.
Festivals of Albondón 2020
The celebration of the Festivities in honour of Saint Louis, King of France, takes place between the 24th and 26th of August. The most important part of the celebration is the representation of Moors and Christians in the town square in the presence of the image of San Luis. In addition, you can also enjoy processions and cavalries.
The charcoal mayor: La Peza 2020 Festivities
On the last Saturday of August 2020, the municipality becomes a stage where the battle of the Carbonero mayor with the French armies is recreated; a brawl took place between the town and the French troops in 1810 where the mayor decided to jump off a cliff rather than surrender. A historical fact spread by the Accitan writer Pedro Antonio de Alarcón.
More summer celebrations in municipalities of Granada
- The Wine Pilgrimage on August 15, 2020 in Alhama de Granada.
- Peach Festival of Purullena, the first weekend (Sunday) of August 2020.This town is known throughout the province for its peaches and crafts.
- Festivals of Galera that culminate with a small market of crafts and local products. Between the first and second weekend of August 2020. You can consult all the events here.
- The Marranico de San Lorenzo in Los Guájares. From 9th to 11th August 2020. The name is due to the fact that in previous months the pig was released in the streets and people were fattening it until the day of the 11th when it was raffled off among the inhabitants.
- Handicraft market of La Puebla de Don Fadrique, August 11, 2020.
- The Fair of agricultural and artisan products of Alhendín. It takes place the third week of August 2020.
- Festivity of the “migas” in Castril, on August 25, 2020.
- First day of the grape harvest in Cádiar, August 26, 2020.
Festivals in villages in September 2020
“Cascamorras” in Baza y Guadix
The Cascamorras festival, which takes place from 6 to 9 September 2020, has been declared of national and international tourist interest.
The centrepiece of this celebration dates back to the 15th century when both towns symbolically disputed ownership of the property for the carving of the Virgen de la Piedad.
It consists of the fact that every year, a resident of Guadix, called Cascamorras, moves to Baza on the first day to take the image of the Virgin.
The custom dictates that it will be his if he manages to arrive without a stain before the Piedad.
Obviously, the attempt is in vain because every year thousands of locals, visitors and tourists crowd into the entrance of the town to receive it and leave it completely dyed.
On the last day, as he does not achieve his objective, he returns to the town of Guadix where the locals receive him anyway for not having achieved his goal.
Musketeers of the Santísimo 2020 in Lecrín – Béznar
The festivities in honour of San Antonio Abad take place between 8 and 9 September 2020. It is a popular custom that comes from the year 1566. According to the legend, Don Juan de Austria intervened to recover the Viatico stolen during the Moorish uprising.
“La Tizná” 2020 in Jerez del Marquesado
Festivals held in the second week of September 2020 in Jerez del Marquesado in honor of Our Lady of Purification, the patron saint of the village and known as La Tizna. Here – for those who enjoy it – there are running and bullfighting events in the style of San Fermín.
Summer “tapa” days in the villages of Granada
If you love tapas and the local cuisine, take the car and take a stroll through the following villages during the summer months:
- In Beas de Granada at the end of June 2020.
- From 15th to 17th June 2020 in Cúllar.
- Route of the Segureño lamb and the cocktail in Húescar, from 21 to 24 June 2020.
- Fair of the cover of Salobreña the 24 of June of 2020.
- In Baza the third week of July of 2020.
- Route of the cover of Benalúa in July of 2020.
- Feria del tapeo of Algarinejo in August 2020.
- Arenas del Rey, the first weekend of August 2020.
- Wine and Tapas Fair in Cádiar in August 2020.
- Tapas route in Castilléjar in August 2020.
- Cortes de Baza, Feria de la tapa on August 11, 2020.
- The penultimate weekend of August 2020, Tapas festival in Galera.
- In Pedro Martínez, Feria del tapeo the first or second week of August 2020.
- In Guevéjar, the third weekend of September, Feria de la tapa.